Prof. Dr. Dr.h.c. Ecker
There's also a german version of these pages available.
Born 1924; 1942 Abitur; 1943 military service; 1943-1946 studies at Güttingen, Munich and Bonn; 1946 Diplom; 1948 Dissertation; 1953 Habilitation; 1954 Scholar of the Royal Society, Queens University Belfast; 1955 Visiting Professor at Oklahoma; 1957 apl. Professor University Bonn; Visiting Professor at Berkeley, Rad Lab.; 1960 Diäten-Dozent University Bonn; 1963 Founding Professor (chair) and senator at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum and Director of the institute of the theoretical physics (RUB); 1964 Visiting fellow, JILA, Boulder, Colorado; 1986 chairman of the board of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Plasmaphysik (APP); 1991 chairman of the board of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Plasmaphysik (DGPT); 1994 Honorary Doctorate EMAU-Universität Greifswald; 1997 Honorary President of the DGPT.
- Main fields of research: Plasma Physics, Physics of Atoms, Statistics
- 120 publications in relevant reviewed journals
- Three monographs (Publishers: Academic Press, USA; Wiley and Sons, USA; MIR-Nauka, Russia)
- Edition of several journals; Editor of the Springer Series "Atoms and Plasmas"
- Scholar of the Royal Society of London
- Fellow of the Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics (JILA)
- Visiting professor at several american universities (e.g. University of California, Berkeley, University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Consultant of the Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) of the Research Center Jülich (FZ) and several large-scale research institutions and high-tech enterprises
- broad reviewing activities
- Chairman resp. member of the scientific commitee of several periodic conferences and workshops
Administrative Activities in Science and Research
- Representative of Germany in the IUPAP-commission for plasma physics
- Dean and senator of the RUB (multiply)
- Representative of the RUB in the executive board of the FZ Jülich and elected member of the scientific-technical council of the FZ Jülich
- Chairman of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Plasmaphysik, APP (Ruhr-Universität, Bochum; Universität Düsseldorf; Universität Essen; Bergische Universität Wuppertal; Forschungszentrum Jülich)
- Initiator and speaker of the SFB 162 Plasmaphysik Bochum / Jülich
- Initiator and speaker of the SFB 191 Niedertemperaturplasmen
- Director of the commitee for the establishment and chairman of the assembly of members of the Institut für Niedertemperatur-Plasmaphysik (INP) Greifswald
- Chairman of the board of the working group plasma technology of the BMFT
- Chairman of the executive commitee of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Plasmatechnologie (DGPT)